The Pataskala Public Library was founded in August, 1937, and was located in a room in the Pataskala Town Hall. The first librarian, Adah Clark, oversaw a collection of several hundred books and periodicals. In early 1938, while waiting for state aid, the library raised $160 in temporary operating funds from 83 local contributors. By April, 1938, the library was legally organized as a school district library, and requested $400 in operating funds from Licking County. By 1939, the collection had increased to 2300 items, and the library had an annual budget of just over $1,000. This included a salary of $20 per month for the librarian, less than the cost of a ticket at the Weathervane at today’s prices. By May, 1939, the library had 792 borrowers, and was averaging 24 new borrowers per month.
The library dedicated the building at its present location in 1969. The total cost of the building was $119, 314.54. In 1987, the library celebrated its 50th anniversary, and dedicated a new addition, effectively doubling the size of the library building. Beginning in November of 2010, the 101 S. Vine Street location went through an extensive six-month renovation while the library operated out of a temporary location at 360 E. Broad. The new look library reopened at 101 S. Vine Street on May 16, 2011.
From a small beginning, the library has grown into a full service library with over 12,000 cardholders, and over 1900 visitors served every week. The library has over 70,000 items, with annual circulation topping 250,000.